Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 May 2018

Looking down on Enthorpe Station House ( beware of trains ), East Riding Wolds.

12x10 Oil on canvas

The road from Etton to Enthorpe climbs high and at this point the views are wonderful. I am looking north, to my right looking east, the vista is enormous showing field after field and disappearing towards the horizon. Cow parsley is still looking good, buttercups, speedwell and plantain feature up here. However, the biggest surprise is the huge drifts of crosswort in the verges. Here, at this point, the fields are completely open, with no hedges, the crops coming almost up to the road. This caused a problem, inasmuch that there was no shelter at all and as the wind was quite strong, together with a mistiness developing I became very cold. I had to put a warm jacket on, yet, despite this my hands became very cold and I had to stop painting. Before painting, when it was warmer, I walked George to the distant building. On the way, I wanted to check out the disused railway line which is where the track dips. Sure enough, there was an old railway bridge and a closed gate to the Enthorpe Station House. On the gate a large circular sign declared the we BEWARE OF TRAINS. I stood looking down at the disused railway ( private land ) and heard a yellowhammer calling. I also noted that the swifts are really here now in great numbers as they flew around me.  Smiling, I continued past the pale brown field to the next junction. The field was deeply furrowed and the tops of potato plants were just emerging. The soil here is heavily contaminated or at least mixed, with lots of broken flint. It made me wonder about how good the drainage would be and how resilient the potatoes needed to be.   To the right of the picture, tall, thin, tree trunks can be seen against a dark background. This reminded me that earlier in the year, I had seen a huge wagon transporting felled lumber away from this spot.
Again, I rushed to the Pipe and Glass for a coffee to warm my numb hands and was delighted to see, as I passed St. Mary's church, a low flying red kite, it's forked tail working hard as it manoeuvred in tight circles.
What a lot of writing, hope you like it, I have treated this picture a little loosely  again and am pleased with it.

No comments: