Search This Blog

Sunday 3 July 2016

Wassand Hall, 3rd July 2016.

Plein air oil on canvas 12 x 10 inch.
It has been a while since I have managed to paint and I was beginning to get anxious. Here is my first painting of the year for my exhibition in October. I have some from last year, however I need to do more. The sanctuary of the walled garden at Wassand, the peace, tranquility and beauty provide a meditative environment. As I painted, my wife, sitting beside me, was listening to the quietness. Birdsong in the distance told us of territorial ambitions, warning others that this was their space. Suddenly a crescendo of droning was heard. Looking up we saw a swarm of bees. Flying busily just above our heads, within the confines of the walled garden, they were quite a frightening sight. Fortunately the agitated colony flew over the wall and we were left, once again, in peaceful appreciation of the white border. This view is not an obvious one. It shows the archway from this inner walled garden to the vegetable garden where teas are also served on open days. The typical view looking along the paths to a focal point, in this case a bench seat, was rejected, though I have included a suggestion of the seat to the extreme left. I think this will give a little more interest and also tell the viewer that the garden can be visited, seen, studied and appreciated.
First for a while hope you like it.
HAPPY PAINTING everyone.





No comments: