Search This Blog

Sunday 11 October 2015

Castle Howard, the Maulsoleum from the south lake.

Plein air oil on canvas 12 x 10 inch.

10th October 2015.
We drove to Castle Howard passing over the wolds, past hills with cascading drifts of autumnal colour. A lovely clear day with sunny spells made visibility excellent and the moors in the distance were easily visible. Indeed it looked like they were being burnt as huge plumes of smoke rose up, burning the heather to promote new growth is an annual event. Dramatic when seen from close by. At Castle Howard we walked George from the car park before setting off to have some tea, and looking for a view to paint. As we set off we met a lady with a delightful, smaller version of George. We chatted about art before continuing to the house. Saw this view of the mausoleum from across the south lake. The colours, especially of the nearby tree gave added interest, reflecting the season as it passes. The bright yellow spots in the grass are, in fact, late dandelions. The waterside is delineated by tall grasses and rushes whose pale umber colour now indicates autumn has set in. Swans appeared out of the water on the far side of the lake and I have indicated them against the dark trees on the right. I was using a newly made pochade box and regretted not checking my brush selection as I had forgotten to bring a fine detail brush. Thus the mausoleum is painted with a brush that was too large. However, looking at it now I think I will leave it. Sometimes you can overwork paintings as I am sure we all know.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G.

No comments: