Search This Blog

Sunday 9 August 2015

Sledmere House, walled garden, initial visit, August 2015.

Well here is a development. We set off for the walled garden of Burton Agnes to maybe do a painting. However, the roads en-route around Driffield turned out to be jammed with slow moving traffic - the huge steam engine rally at the showground being the reason. A quick detour found us at Sledmere House. We had not been to Sledmere for years and read recently that the walled garden is being developed. What a wonderful surprise. The planting is rather amazing with lots of interest. Here is a winding path through densely planted borders. In the background in the distance are some sequoiadendron giganteum trees, wellingtonias. These are special to me as, many years ago I brought my mother here to see them. Rather ambitious little project as the perspective is not too obvious, however, the suggestion of a path leads one to want to explore. Also, in my haste to get off I had left my usual brushes at home - after having cleaned them, aaargh. It is not quite complete, I hope to rectify this tomorrow.
Plein air oil on board 12x10 inches. Not quite finished.

Finished plein air with minor touches done at home.

After we had something to eat we returned to the walled garden and started a quick watercolour sketch. This also needs to be completed. The view below benefits from having great perspective with rich, varied colours still in evidence in the borders. Looking at the picture I can see things I want to check, some proportions and perspective. Hope to upload completed pictures soon.

Watercolour sketch 22 x 15 inch. Again not quite complete.







No comments: