Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Sledmere House, walled garden, August 19th 2015

Plein air, oil on canvas board 12 x 10 inches.
Another rather pleasant visit saw us walk past the chattering guineafowl along the grassy path to the walled garden. We perambulated the garden and saw this view. It contains some colour as the plants generally are now going to seed. There are exceptions, sunflowers were  particularly tempting but here we are. I am using three blues and five yellows as well as aliziron crimson and cadmium red. As I was working a couple sat down on a bench beneath the blue arbor and I tried to include the before they moved. As I was painting a thud near me announced the Isaac Newton moment as an apple fell nearby. In fact we broke off for some refreshments and used apples to mark the position of the tripod. Sure enough when we returned the apples were still in position, great. I am rather preoccupied with painting at Sledmere as I returned to it late in the season and I want to get as much done as possible before summer passes. It is lovely to see people we know occasionally at Sledmere and today we saw an old friend, Charlie, and his wife and daughter. I rather like the notion of producing the less obvious view, perhaps not the accentuated perspective of long pathways. There is room for both however and I am hoping to get some balance as I build up my collection for a future exhibition. I am looking forward to working here next year, earlier in the season to capture a greater range of colour. This particular walled garden reminds me very much of the work of Kaffe Fassett with its blocks of colour which seem to blend sympathetically together. Anyway, hope you enjoy.
Happy painting.

No comments: