Search This Blog

Saturday 30 May 2015

Black Mill, cattle, buttercups, tractor and a family group.

Watercolour 22 x 15 inch.
We had been to the Westwood to walk George and as I had my sketch board with me I quickly got the detail down for this picture. I really want to record the buttercups this year as they are particularly impressive. Whilst I was working on the picture I noticed the tractor driving neatherd passing slowly in the distance checking the stock, and added him in. A family were walking towards us, the children stopping now and then to examine something off the path, perhaps a buttercup? And then an 84 year old car, an Austin Six appeared in its finest livery. It parked on the grass and a wedding party, bride and groom and photographer began to arrange themselves, aesthetically, to have their special day recorded. An excellent day, bright and still with a golden carpet to stand on. The driver and I chatted about the car, its strengths and weaknesses. It is a straight six cylinder and dates from 1931. It does few miles and is used for weddings almost exclusively. It was two tone cream and a dark umber with white wall tyres, excellent. I feel that I should produce a more significant picture featuring the cattle yet as they constantly move it is difficult. Skylarks continue to serenade us as we walk the Westwood reminding us of English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams tand his "The Lark Ascending", an evocative composition reflecting the song and spirit of the skylark.
H  A  P  P  Y       P  A  I  N  T  I  N  G

No comments: