Search This Blog

Sunday 19 October 2014

Beverley Minster, October 2014, autumn colours before the high winds

Plein air ( see below ) w atercolour, half imperial 22 x 15 inch on 300 gsm paper.

Last year at, almost this time, I drew the basic picture that you can see here. At that time I was lazily sitting in the car as the weather must have been bad. So when I saw the view again I set up the easel and, with the large watercolour sheet clipped to a board, started to sketch out and paint the scene again. I completed about 90 percent I guess finishing it at home. So it is mostly plein air (:-).  Will try to finish last year's picture next week if the weather is good. Unfortunately the forecast is for high winds which may change the picture, inasmuch as we might lose the leaves, we will have to wait and see.
I have tried to apply the colour loosely, letting the sun dry the paint before adding layers. When highlighted in bright sun,the deciduous trees create a surreal range of oranges, yellows and reds. The Minster also changed constantly as clouds kept passing over. Sometimes it was bright, at others times rather shaded.
It does seem strange to be here without seeing swallows or swifts coursing over the grasses or screaming above. Cows are still evident, though I feel their numbers are declining. Soon they will all be gone. Had a chat with a walker, who was heading for Black Mill, which was very interesting, as he also painted a little. Glancing over to Black Mill it is disappointing to see that it has been spoilt by someone painting the base. It happens.

H A P P Y   P A I N T I N G

No comments: