Search This Blog

Friday 26 September 2014

Beverley Minster from Swinemoor with a pair of swans

Plein air oil on canvas 12x10"


The weather was fine and we decided to go for a drive, to Castle Howard, however as time was tight we decided to detour to our local cafe. On the way we stopped at a disused railway line and walked George. The weather being good, made it very pleasant. We spotted lots of butterflies, mainly browns though one blue, another one white. Amazing amounts of berries enclosed us as we passed, hawthorn and wild rose(hips) among columns of bursting willowherb. In adjacent fields, the pale straw stubble of recently harvested cereals shone in the sun. A greater spotted woodpecker passed by, over the fields, it's characteristic, undulating flight together with colourful plumage, distinguished it from other birds.  Alongside the track a farmer was using a green combined harvester to collect, what looked like beans.  Duty done, we enjoyed our cafe visit. So, as the afternoon was already passing I decided to visit Swinemoor. I headed to the location I had  intended to paint earlier and set up the pochade box.. Unfortunately the wind was strong and blustery which made detailing problematic. As I painted, a pair of swans glided into view, they reminded me that a pair had flown by when I was last here. Then a horse came over to have a drink. Mallards and moorhens called away to my right. Another Red Admiral was spotted on my way back to the car making this little visit rather special. The picture proved rather challenging, however, I like the outcome. May use it as a reference to create a larger version.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G

No comments: