Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 July 2014

July woodland, Beverley

Plein air oil on canvas 20 x 16
Here we are in mid-July and the year is flying by, too quickly. I am keen to maintain the month by month, Burton Bushes series, and came across this scene. Thought I might video the session, though when setting up I realized I had forgotten a part for a tripod ...aaargh. However I managed this , though it could have been better.
The wood was beautiful today, serene, quiet and restful. Though sunny outside the wood, the pathways underfoot reflected the fact that we had  had heavy rain the day before. Evidence of dog prints could be seen in the dark, soft mud. The large beech tree dominates this clearing, nettles nearby demanded that I be careful - especially wearing shorts. While painting, the wisdom of wearing shorts became questionable as I kept feeling insect bites on my legs. The sun lit up the higher, thinner foliage of the canopy and, in places burst through to the forest floor. Birdsong seemed muted especially when compared with spring, reflecting possibly that bird territories have been long established. A dog walker passed, followed by a West Highland terrier. The terrier body could be seen above the ground plants, moving through, it had it's head down and it's short tail held upright. I added the impression as you can see.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G

No comments: