Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Burton Bushes, Beverley. Feb 18th.

Plein air oil on canvas 20 x 16" NFS
Found this to be more difficult than expected.
Today's forecast was mild with even some ....  sun, in the morning. With this in mind I set off early to try and find a spot in Burton Bushes, the fragile remnants of a mediaeval forest. Husbandry of the forest has been absent for some years and there are many large branches lying about the forest floor. Here is an old oak tree missing a section of it's trunk. On the floor a large, moss covered branch. The sun encouraged robins and blue tits to sing and flit about readying themselves for spring and the breeding season. Rusting holly leaves behind me suggested the presence of an unseen grey squirrel. While painting I was  standing with my back against another oak tree and realised, after some time that it was blocking my mobile phone signal, making contact with the outside world impossible. As is usually the case when here I was alone most of the time until two different dogs lead their owners past me. Underfoot the soil was very wet, sticky and slippery and again as usual I got lost trying to find my way out of the wood. It was a great joy to see the tell-tale dark green leaves beginning to emerge heralding the arrival of bluebells later in spring.

H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G

Detail 1


Detail 2






Detail 3
Detail 4

No comments: